Monday, July 13, 2009

Another successful court hearing!!


Let me first start off by saying that I REALLY prefer the US court system over Ukraine's. Today was our court hearing to finalize Jessica's adoption. Because of my age difference I was not able to legally adopt Jessica in Ukraine (according to Ukraine law). However because of our unique situation in that we had already adopted Erika's and Jessica's brother, the Ukraine system allowed Ken to fully adopt Jessica with the condition that I would adopt her here in the US. It is now done!

I could tell Jessica was a little nervous, but it was the most laid back court hearing I have ever been to (I have only experienced Ukraine). We were allowed to speak (without first being spoken to), we could sit down while answering their questions. At the very end, the attorney called Kyle up to the stand, and the Judge declared the adoption final. So they gave Kyle the gavel, and told him to hit it on the desk twice and declare the case closed. It was the cutest thing ever! We all had a good laugh, and he did such a good job....hmmm, possible career I think. Then the judge allowed us on the stand to take a picture with him, and stood out of his chair so Jessica could take the big seat! Love this judge!
He knew from reading the home study that Jessica loves art, so he asked her to draw and/or paint something and send it to him. I know that Jessica will do just that! She was already asking on the way home what she could draw for him. With as particular attention to detail that she has, I know it will take her some time to decide but I can't wait to see what she ends up with. I will have to post a picture of the final outcome....she is very creative.

2 comments:

  1. What a great picture!!! What a fabulous Judge. We love the children and I am grateful everyday that you and Ken have decided to have such beautiful children. They have great hearts! I love all of you sooo much! :) Tami

    ReplyDelete